It lived its golden age at the turn of the century when
architectural ceramics shipped throughout the Carpathian Basin and its
ornaments and porcelain sets were successively honored at world exhibitions.
In the area of the factory, a new part of the town was created under the name Zsolnay Cultural Quarter. The current owner of Zsolnay Trademarks, the Zsolnay Porcelain Manufactory Zrt. also operates in this area.
Miklós Zsolnay founded the predecessor of the factory, the Zsolnay Hard Tile Manufactory, from the equipment of the ruined Lukafa tile factory in 1852. The lack of capital, development, and mechanization failed to compete in the market. Vilmos Zsolnay saved the factory from the auction and turned it into the world-famous factory.
Vilmos Zsolnay experimented with different types of clay and glaze until he developed the former small factory into the country’s first artistic ceramic factory. The factory was first recognized at the 1837 World Exhibition in Vienna. The Zsolnay family has been constantly involved in improving the quality of their products, expanding their supply and keeping in touch with their costumers.
The plant has become such a part of the family life that they have also built their dwellings on the site of the factory, which now houses exhibitions as part of the Zsolnay Cultural Quarter.